- A male turkey's gobble is distinctive to each bird, and can be heard from a mile away.
- Did you know a wild turkey can fly up to 55 mph?! I had no idea! Of course, they can only fly that speed for a short distance, but still - that is amazing!
- Ancient Mexican civilizations are believed to see the turkey as a sacred animal.
- The color of the turkey's head and throat will change based upon his mood.
- Last but not least: It is rumored that Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to become America's national bird rather than the bald eagle.
Saturday, November 28, 2015
Gobble, gobble - it's turkey time again! In light of the recent holiday, I got to wondering - are there any interesting facts about turkeys? It turns out there are! Here are just a few: