- In America, reindeer are commonly known as caribou. They're called caribou for when they're in the while, but are known as reindeer when they're domesticated. In Europe, they are called reindeer all the time.
- Reindeers are usually 4 - 5 feet tall excluding their antlers. Their antlers can almost double their size, as they can grow up to 3 feet tall!
- Reindeer are the only type of deer in which the males and the females both grow antlers.
- Reindeer can run up to 50 mph - just fast enough to help them get a running start before flying!
- Reindeer may be known for Rudolph's red nose, but even more impressive than that is the fact that reindeer eyes turn blue in the winter! This change helps reindeers capture more light during the dark winter months, especially in the Artic. Scientists believe reindeers are the only known mammal to undergo such a change.
And the next time you see a caribou, you should wonder - is it really one of Santa's? Merry Christmas!