- Octopuses are considered the most intelligent of all invertebrates. To test this - the next time you visit an aquarium, ask them about the attempts the octopus will make to try to escape. Every one that I've visited has said they constantly have to change the way they feed an octopus and play with it, because it will figure out ways to escape from it!
- They can solve problems, such as unscrewing a lid to get prey from a container. Perhaps this is another example of the first fact, but either way - if you're trying to hide from an octopus, don't hide in a container with a lid in it.
- Octopuses have three hearts - two pump blood through each of the two gills, while the third pumps blood through the body.
- Octopuses are venomous, but only the small blue-ringed octopuses are known to be deadly to humans.
- Octopuses have four pairs of arms.
- An octopus can lose an arm to escape a predator's grasp and re-grow it later with no permanent damage.
- This is my favorite: Octopuses can fit through anything that their beak can. This is because their beak is the only bone/hard part of their body.
Now for some cool videos!
Can you spot the octopus in this picture? Click through to watch an amazing video to see where it's hiding:
This octopus is an escape artist: (click for video)
Think that was impressive? This popular video shows an octopus escaping from an even smaller hole:
Last one - here's the amazing Indonesian Mimic Octopus: (click for video)